- Collection of Personal Information from Site Users.
Information Collected Automatically
Each time you visit the Site, the Sohn Conference or its partners may automatically collect certain types of information. Some examples of automatic information we may collect are as follows:
- Your internet service provider’s address, your internet protocol or IP address, type of computer, and type of Web browser software, and the language settings on your web browser
- We may collect a record of your activity or your “clickstream” while visiting the Site.
- We may use “cookies” of different types to recognize your computer. A cookie is a small text file that a website, online application, or e-mail may save to your internet browser and/or your computer’s hard drive for use in subsequent visits to the Site or other sites.
- We may use web beacons, match scripts, pixel tags, or similar technologies that allow us to know if a particular web page was visited, an e-mail opened, links in the email utilized or if the advertisements on the Site or other sites were effective. In some instances, these technologies may allow us to match activities with particular users.
Information You Give to Us
We may collect any information, such as your first and last name, email address, postal address, and telephone number that you provide when you interact with us. Some examples are when you:
- Correspond with us.
- Sign up for a newsletter.
- Register for a conference.
- Download presentations.
- Enter a contest.
- Complete an online form, or surveys.
- Make a donation.
- Use of Personal Data Collected. The Sohn Conference may use personal data it collects for editorial and feedback purposes, for marketing and promotional purposes, for a statistical analysis of users’ behavior, for product development, for content improvement, to customize the content and layout of the Site, or to notify you about updates to the Site. Aggregate data on users’ home servers may be used for internal purposes such as researching and identifying market segments and needs.
If you make a donation we will request personally identifiable information about you, such as your name, address, phone number, email address and debit/credit card information. We seek such information primarily to facilitate donations and to communicate with you about them.
Unless you specify that a gift be “anonymous” or otherwise request that your name not be listed, we list the names of donors who give $1,000 and up in some brochures and benefit programs, so as to recognize their generosity publicly. We do not sell, share or rent our donor lists to anyone, nor do we include donor names in any direct mail solicitations.
- Sharing or Disclosure of Your Personal Data. Unless otherwise agreed, the Sohn Conference will not sell or disclose to third parties any individually identifying information, such as names, postal and e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, and other personal information which users voluntarily provide to the Sohn Conference, except as follows:
- We work with business partners who support us, such as companies who plan our events, handle registration for our conferences and events, and create badges for our guests. We also use outside service providers to facilitate the Site and overall operation, and to perform functions on our behalf, such as monitoring visitors to our Site, sending postal mail and email, removing repetitive information from donor lists, analyzing data, processing credit card payments and providing customer service. These third parties may have access to your personal information as needed to perform their functions, but they may not use it for any other purpose.
- To the extent necessary to comply with applicable laws or valid legal processes, such as in response to subpoenas or court orders.
- To protect the rights and intellectual property of the Sohn Conference.
- To investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of our policies, or as otherwise required by law.
- In urgent circumstances to protect the Sohn Conference or the personal safety of any individual.
- We may transfer information about you to successors to the relevant portion of the Sohn Conference’s business.
We or our partners may also use Flash cookies (also known as Local Stored Objects) or other similar technologies. A Flash cookie is a small data file placed on a computer using Adobe Flash or similar technology that may be built into your computer or downloaded or installed by you to your computer. We use these technologies to personalize and enhance your online experience, facilitate processes, and personalize and store your settings. Flash cookies may help our website visitors to, for example, set volume preference associated with a video experience, play games and perform surveys. They help us improve our Site by measuring which areas are of greatest interest to customers. They may be recognized by other sites or by our marketing or business partners. Flash cookies are different from browser cookies and the cookie management tools provided by your browser may not remove Flash cookies. Click here to learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies. If you disable Flash cookies or other similar technologies, please be aware that you may not have access to certain features and services that make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
We may also use web beacons, which are electronic images that may be used on our websites or in our emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
- Security Measures. The Sohn Conference may implement security features to prevent the unauthorized release of or access to personal information. Please note, however, that the Sohn Conference cannot guarantee the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to/from the Sohn Conference via the Site or e-mail. Accordingly, the Sohn Conference is not responsible for the security of information transmitted via the Internet. For more private communication, users can contact the Sohn Conference by telephone at the main office and direct line telephone numbers provided below.
- Opt-Out Right. Users may at any time opt out of having their personal information used by the Sohn Conference to send promotional correspondence to the user, by contacting the Sohn Conference via e-mail as indicated below. The Sohn Conference will not share your personally identifiable information with an unrelated third-party without giving you the opportunity to opt-in.
- Access to and Ability to Correct Personal Data. Upon request via e-mail the Sohn Conference will provide to users a summary of any personally identifiable information retained by the Sohn Conference regarding the user. Users may modify, correct, change or update personally identifiable information that the Sohn Conference has collected by the Site or may request their personal record to be removed from the Sohn Conference’s database by contacting the Sohn Conference via postal mail, e-mail, or telephone as indicated below.
- Collection of Personal Data from Children. The Sohn Conference does not knowingly solicit information from children and it does not knowingly market the Site or its products or services to children. To the extent that the Sohn Conference is able to determine the age of users by their submissions to, or communications with, the Site, The Sohn Conference will not knowingly (a) collect or post information from individuals under thirteen years of age (“Children” or “Child”) without their parent’s or guardian’s consent, or (b) provide any personally identifying information collected from Children, regardless of its source, to any third-party for any purpose whatsoever. If you become aware of any personally identifiable information we have collected from Children, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (917) 780-2586.
To the extent registration is required for certain products or services on the Site, and a user submits information to the Sohn Conference through such a registration process that indicates that such user is a Child, the Sohn Conference will use reasonable efforts to alert the Child’s parent or guardian to the Child’s registration and provide instructions on how the parent or guardian can delete the Child’s registration, if so desired. No information collected through the Site from users self-identified as Children will knowingly be used for any direct marketing or promotional purposes.
- Links to Other Sites. The Site may contain links to other websites. The Sohn Conference does not endorse, and is not responsible for, the privacy practices or the content of these websites, including product information. You should review these policies in connection with your use of such third-party sites.
- Security Measures. The Sohn Conference uses industry-standard techniques to protect collected personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction, which include technical, contractual, administrative and physical steps. Please note that while the Sohn Conference has endeavored to create a secure and reliable site for users, the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to/from the Sohn Conference via the Site or e-mail cannot be guaranteed.
- Do Not Track. Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that users can set in some web browsers, allowing users to opt out of tracking by websites and online services. At the present time, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has not yet established universal standards for recognizable DNT signals and therefore, the Sohn Conference and the Site do not recognize DNT.
- Jurisdiction. This policy shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York, without regard to conflicts of law rules, and the exclusive jurisdiction and venue for any dispute shall be the State of New York.
- Contact Information. Questions or concerns regarding the Sohn Conference data protections practices should be addressed to:
Sohn Conference Foundation